2017 Latin Arts Festival Juried Art Show Artists and Film Exhibition
Juried Art Show Theme: "Unity through Diversity" -
In response to the 2017 Latin Arts Show theme, student and professional artists are encouraged to create and display visual images (manual and digital) to reflect upon the affirmation: "Unity through Diversity". Artists will need to submit a paragraph or more to explain how their images symbolize a response to the statement: "Unity through Diversity". The 2017 Juried Art Show and Film Contest will challenge artists to tell their story and share their interest in celebrating and preserving Latin American and Caribbean values and respect for human equality and conservation of the environment within and among all inhabitants of a multicultural society. Certificates, ribbons and one thousand dollars ($1,000) will be awarded to four artists with the highest judging scores. The top four film entries will be awarded certificates, ribbons and three hundred dollars ($300).
Exhibition Viewing Schedule: From August 14th through August 25, 2017 (11:00 am to 3:00 pm) the public is invited to view the Juried Art Show entries at the Centro Latino office complex: 1208 South 10th Avenue Tacoma, Washington. For directions to the show call (253) 572-7717. Both the Juried Art Show and Film Exhibition entries are also scheduled for viewing during the Hilltop Street Fair event on Saturday August 26, 2017. The visual still images will be available for public viewing on Saturday August 26, 2017 from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm. Public viewing of video entries will be scheduled for 1:00 to 3:00 pm, Saturday August 26, 2017.
Post Exhibition Sales: Art Show paintings, prints, photographs and videos will be available for sale and can be purchased by contacting the individual artist. Artist contact information is available at the reception area of Centro Latino, by email:firstname.lastname@example.org, or phone: (253) 474-6053. Purchased art show images can be received by Federal express mail or received following the close of the Artist Reception—7:00 pm Saturday August 26, 2017.
Art Show and Film Exhibition Reception: Interested patrons, artists and the general public are invited to attend the Juried Art Show and Film Exhibition reception co-sponsored by Centro Latino Board of Directors. Attendees will have the opportunity to meet the 2017 Guest Artist, Mauricio Robalino and Juried Art Show and Film Contest exhibitors. Attendees are encouraged to share their personal statement reflecting their ideas and responses to the 2017 Juried Art Show and Film contest theme: "Unity through Diversity", view Guest Artist Mauricio Robalino's introductory "2017 Yoga" image, learn of other artworks created by Mr. Robalino and enjoy hearing impromptu stories over prepared libations.
Judging Criteria for Juried Art Show Images
Each judge will rate participant's work on a 1-to-5 scale in each category: Drawing, Painting, Photography, Print Making, Watercolor
Jurors are looking for originality, quality and consistency in artist ideas, execution, and design.
- Is the artwork original?
- Does the artwork demonstrate creative use of material/technique?
- Does the piece show uniqueness within its genre?
- Value will be given to those who can portray the inspiration within their work and show how that inspiration has been made into a new and creative concept.
- Unoriginal work will be disqualified.
Composition & Design
- Does the work show and effectively use elements and principles of design?
- Is there a natural and logical sequence, a flow from one point of interest to another?
- Do the lines within the composition have balance and harmony?
- Is the proportion correct?
- Is there good use of solids and voids?
- Does the artist demonstrate control of the medium?
- Is the presentation neat and attractive?
- Is it within the required size limits and age appropriate?
- Has the work been prepared properly for display/ hanging?
- Does the back of the work display proper identification and is it ready to be exhibited?
Consistency in Idea/Clarity of Theme
- Does the work relate to the theme: "Nuesras Historias" - "Our Stories"
- Is the theme (as presented in the requested write-up) clear and obvious?
- How well does the visual image represent the theme?
Juried Film Contest
Call for Entries:
The 2017 Latin Arts Festival Juried Video Exhibition and Contest seeks film productions created to communicate a story in response to the theme: "Unity through Diversity". Youth and graduates of the 2017 Summer Film Camp (sponsored by Pierce County Library system, City of Tacoma Library system, 253 Write and Centro Latino are encouraged to submit film footage describing historic to present day stories featuring personal experiences, family history, cultural traditions and significant social, political and environmental events associated with the theme: "Unity through Diversity". Certificates, ribbons and three hundred dollars ($300) will be awarded for placement as best photography, acting, sound score, directing, editing and best film overall.
* Film entries will be available for public viewing during the Hilltop Street Fair, Saturday August 26, 2017 from 1:00 to 3:00 pm
* Entry deadline is August 10, 2017
* Juried by three (to be announced) Film Curators
* All entries will be judged (see below for Criteria and Scoring) on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact, and artistic merit.
* A $25.00 fee will be charged for each individual artist entry (four images) and $15.00 for each film four minute film entry.
* Entries will be submitted by way of a U-tube upload.
* Mobile devices include phones, cam-cords and DSLR cameras
* Legal Agreement: The Artist of each film entry retains 100% copyright to his/her own images. Artist’s recognition is provided with any use for
marketing/promotion of the 2017 and 2018 Latin Arts Festival.
* Exhibition Payment of the submission fee indicates acknowledgement of all
terms and conditions.
Judging Criteria for Film Contest
*SCRIPTURAL INTEGRATION - 20 points
Verse resonates beautifully throughout the piece, thought provoking, masterfully
interwoven in the story. This is a full 20% (20 points) of a film’s total score. It is how
skillfully, artistically, and ingeniously the producer uses the verse as a foundation to the
Judges will rate the verse on face value, asking “Are all of the verse’s story points
addressed?” Judges will watch for subtleties and symbolism. Films should
communicate behavioral, psychological and spiritual consequences and benefits for
humans and the physical environment. Jurors will be required to study the verse before
and after viewing the film.
- 10 points
Story is inventive, fresh and masterfully woven. Dialog is excellent. Characters are compelling and resonate compassion, interest and knowledge of
the theme: "Unity through Diversity"
- 10 points
Story is told in a unified, unique & cohesive, clear, distinctive style & tone. Relational dynamics are believable and represent accuracy in storytelling
associated with historical
events, cultural traditions and modern day responses to present-day social, political, economic and environmental conditions and situations.
- 10 points
Vibrant visual images symbolizing the telling of a story. Camera movement and shot selection is excellent.
Rhythmic, moving, engaging arrangement of pictures and sound
DESIGN - 10 points
Outstanding selection, configuration and use of background geography and place/location props to introduce the psychological and
environmental conditions of the film's subject and characters.
MUSIC SCORE or SCORE EFFECTIVENESS (if not original) - 10 points
The music perfectly complements the story and overall message. Musician name(s) and certification indicating permission to use their music score must
be identified and completed within the Film entry application(s).
DESIGN - 10 points
Consistent levels, beautiful transitions between words and music, absence of distracting noises (buzz, hum, hiss, etc.).
Relational dynamics are strong & believable. Visual imagery and supplemental acting creates a compelling bond with the audience.